Hundreds of schoolboys abducted nearly over a week have been released prompting joy and relief to their families and loved ones.
Katsina State, Governor Aminu Bello Masari, made this announcement in a televised interview with state channel NTA that 344 boys held in the Rugu Forest in neighbouring Zamfara state had been freed.
Gunmen, who came on motorbikes had last Friday, invaded the school’s premises around 11 pm shooting indiscriminately to scare residents. The operation led to the disappearance of over 300 students.
Boko Haram had on Tuesday claimed responsibility for the attack.
“They are on their way to Katsina, the military finalised the negotiations with them, they will be received by the governor anytime from now,” the source said.
When contacted, Abdu Labaran, Director General of Media to Governor Masari said, “I can’t say yes or no, but we have gone beyond discussions with the bandits for now. We are expecting the governor to address a world press conference soon.”